Today is National Writing Day and to celebrate the power of the written word, we’re exploring not only the reasons why we sit down with pen and paper, but also the benefits of this form of communication.
This annual awareness day is led by First Story and involves thousands of people from across the nation marking the day by spending quality time writing creatively.
“But what are the benefits of writing?” we hear you asking. Well there are many, but here are some of the main advantages:
- Creative writing develops a unique mix of skills
- It cultivates curiosity and play, while also teaching discipline and persistence
- Writing regularly can promote mental health and wellbeing
- Literacy skills are strengthened
- It’s a great form of mental exercise (yes, your brain needs a daily workout too!)
- Writing can help ease anxiety and depression
- It’s a perfect way to relax and unwind after a busy day
Not to mention getting creative with paper not only benefits the writer but also the environment as paper is truly sustainable and is one of the most recycled products in the world.
National Writing Day is the perfect time to delve into the different types of creative writing and put your skills to the test by composing…
- A story
- A play
- Song lyrics
- A letter
To help you get into the writing spirit we’re going to be sharing ideas to inspire you on our Twitter, so make sure you follow @EncoreEnvelopes to stay up to date.
How are you marking National Writing Day? Tweet us and let us know how you are getting involved.